History of St. Peter Parish
Before 1933, Catholics who lived south of Pawtuxet River and along Warwick Avenue and Narragansett Parkway were members of St. Paul’s Parish in Edgewood. During the summer, Mass was celebrated in a tent at Gaspee Point, a well known beach community. By 1933 the Catholic population had become large enough for Bishop Hickey to establish a new parish, comprising the neighborhoods of Pawtuxet, Lakewood, Dryden Heights, Gaspee Point, Governor Francis Farms, Warwick Downs, Palace Gardens, Spring Green, Bayside, and Gaspee Plateau.
Father McHugh, a curate from St. Paul’s, was appointed the first pastor. He celebrated the first Mass of the parish on Christmas Day on the second floor
of the old fire station in Lakewood The church was built on Chapel Hill in 1936, and the rectory was built in 1950. The school was constructed in 1959, followed by the convent, which is now the parish administration building. This building houses the parish offices and our school of Faith Formation.
Approximately 2100 families now belong to the church. St. Peter’s is a stewardship parish and encourages every member to share time, treasure, and talent. Through our school and our many programs of Faith Formation, children and adults are educated and formed in their Catholic faith. Through an active Helping Hands for the Poor ministry, as well as others, we help those in need in a variety of ways.